Friday, July 13, 2018

TV Time! My Favorite Shows


Hello, everyone! One month after our big move, and yes, we’re still adjusting! As life often is, things have been chaotic. Hubby’s been sick off and on ever since we moved, so he finally went back to the doctor. All is well, thank goodness, but it’s been a struggle for this mama to keep it all together, especially when I have a cat and dog constantly chasing each other around my feet! So, this week, I’m keeping things light once again. I promise, I have some more in depth, heavier topics coming down the pike. I want to be sure that I can give them my full attention and give them the due diligence they deserve. In the meantime, if you have any topics you’d like to see me cover, please drop them in the comments! I’m always on the hunt for inspiration. This week, I’m sharing some of my favorite shows. I’ll add in special links, just in case you want to check them out for yourself. And hey, it’s Amazon Prime Day on July 16th, so treat yourself!
My favorite shows

1.      ER: I fell in love with this show as a child. The fast paced energy, the inside look at what it really means to work in an ER (through a TV lens, of course. I know it’s not an actual representation), and the characters just held my attention. I’ll never forget the first episode I ever saw. It was early in the series, the one where George Clooney’s character, Dr. Ross, is late for a fundraiser or something. He goes into a storm drain, culvert situation to rescue a boy that is trapped. I’ll never forget watching him staggering through all the water holding the boy, then doing a surgical procedure with a ball point pen and a pocket knife. I was hooked from that moment on. ER is more than a medical drama. It’s about human frailty. It’s humanity, at it’s most bare and raw. The characters are all so well written, and I challenge you not to fall in love with at least one of them! Who doesn’t love Dr. Mark Greene, played by Anthony Edwards? I was always a John Carter girl myself, and still am! I recently started rewatching the series, and though some of the technology is out of date, I found that for a show that’s more than 20 years old, it still holds up well! I’m sure it’s on some streaming platform, but I love a DVD copy of shows I especially love to binge, so here’s a link to Season 1!



2.      Psych: This is a relatively recent find for me. I never watched it when it was on the air, but once I discovered it on Netflix, I was HOOKED. I love the pairing of James Roday and Dule Hill as Shawn and Gus, and the other characters are just as amazing. From the snarky wit and innumerable quips and name drops of 80s references, to the moments of sincerity and weight, there’s a little something for everyone. This is one of those shows that I watch when I am in a bad mood, or just need a laugh, because it never fails. No matter  how many times I watch it, I always discover something new that I’ve never noticed before. I love the small nuances and how they are tucked into the overall picture of the show, and most of all, I love how Psych never takes itself too seriously. I mean, the show centers on Shawn Spencer, a man that fools everyone around him into thinking he’s a psychic! It’s just an allstar cast, and even when the story lines are slightly absurd, somehow it all works. I highly recommend the DVDs, just because on those you can see all the outtakes (some of which have made me laugh so hard I cried), but it’s also on Amazon Prime. I’ll link both below!  PS: There’s a Psych The Movie that aired in December, and another in the works! This Psych-O can’t wait!





3.      One Tree Hill:  If you’re looking for a show that will make you laugh, make you cry, and everything in between, this is the one for you. This show began airing while I was in college, and it was SO relatable to me. Interestingly, however, it’s still as relatable to me as an adult. This was one of those shows that I watched religiously while it was on air, to the point where I would only talk to people during commercial breaks. OTH time was sacred! Don’t let the premise of the show see it as just another vapid teen drama. The synopsis will tell you it’s about two boys that share the same father, growing up in a small town, one the chosen son, one shunned, and their desire to play basketball, but this show isn’t just about that. It’s about finding one’s self, and learning how to navigate life. The writing is wonderful, and I have to say, it has one of the best female role models for young girls. Brooke Davis, played by Sophia Bush, is a shining example of how a woman can grow and change from who she was, and how you aren’t always what you show the world. There are so many moments in this show that spoke to me, whether serious or funny, and so many episodes that rocked me to my core. I’m looking at you, Season 3. The episode in Season 3 that depicts a school shooting was somewhat revolutionary, because it talked honestly about a topic that most shows to that point had shied away from. As someone that went to high school right at the rise of the school shooting epidemic, this episode hit me HARD, and to this day, I can’t watch it without absolutely sobbing. Apparently, my love for this show is contagious, because my mom and some of my best friends caught the bug from me, and have been hooked as well.


4.      Hart of Dixie: Another fun, quirky little show! Zoe Hart, a surgeon from NYC, discovers that she’s been left half of a medical practice in Bluebell, Alabama.  It sounds silly, and yes, it can be at times, but this show is so full of life! Unlike some shows that portray life in the South, this one doesn’t seem overdone and the accents are on point. Some shows love to make fun of the south, but this one seems to embrace the quirks and idiosyncrasies not only of the south itself but of small towns. You just get absorbed, and fall in love with the town and its citizens. It’s not a very long show, only 4 seasons, but it never feels stale. I feel like you really get to know each character, and their backstories in a way that is true to the overall narrative of the show. I think what I love about the show so much is that we all know what it’s like to try to find our place in the world, and sometimes we realize it’s not where we thought it’d be.  Right now, it’s on Netflix, but it’s also available for purchase by the season on Amazon!


5.      This Is Us: Yes. This is Us. You read that right. Y’all, this show. This show will rip your heart right out of your chest, stomp on it, crush it, somehow build it back stronger than it was before, and put it right back in your chest. Usually when a show is a runaway hit, it’s not always that great, but this one IS. Every episode from the pilot onward is just a slice of what it’s like to be human. The show follows the Pearson family, Jack, Rebecca, and their children, “triplets” Kate and Kevin, and their adopted brother Randall. I can honestly say I’ve never seen a show like this before, that weaves the past and present together so seamlessly, and manages not to lose the heart of it in the process. The vulnerability of each of the characters is so relatable and heartfelt, but no character is more loved (probably) than that of Jack, the patriarch of the family.  He is the linchpin of the series, and everything seems to spiral out from him and his life. Of all the shows I’ve listed, this is the one that is still on the air, and season 3 is airing this fall, on NBC, but until then, you can catch up on Amazon. Just make sure you have a whole box of tissues…for each episode.


6.      Boy Meets World:  Who DOESN’T love BMW?? It’s a great coming of age show! It’s infinitely quotable, funny, memorable, and yet, it seems to cover some pretty strong topics for a teen show. Besides, what girl didn’t have a crush on Shawn?? I know I did! The characters almost became friends for a long time in my life. Cory, the delightfully goofy, unsure lead. Topanga, the gorgeous girl that was whip smart and loving. Shawn, dark, funny, a little lost. Mr. Feeny. Oh, my heart, Mr. Feeny. He was probably my favorite character of the entire series, and if you tell me your heart didn’t break in the series finale, I just won’t understand it.  If you’ve never seen it, it’s one to watch. Sure, it’s a little campy, but it’ll hit you right in the nostalgia. It’s a show for the whole family!


7.      Glee: I’ll be honest. I LOVE this show, but I really dislike most of the characters! That being said, I think what I love about it is even through imperfections, there is beauty. All of the characters are flawed, and in some cases annoying or even downright unlikeable, but at the end of the day, I really did grow to like most of them. I love the struggles the Glee club goes through, from trying to find acceptance in the rough world of high school to fighting off the odd entity that is Sue Sylvester. The show doesn’t shy away from how cruel high school kids or even adults can be, and while the show is called Glee, it isn’t always happy. In fact, there are times when the show is very serious, and it covers weighty topics like homosexuality, coming out, transsexuality, bullying, violence, et cetera. Honestly, the show is ridiculous at times, but I enjoy that. I also love some of the outrageous things Sue says and does. If you’re looking for something slightly different, and a little offbeat, I’d recommend this one! Here is a link for the pilot on Amazon, but I think it’s still on Netflix as well!


8.      The Man in the High Castle:  I am still working through this one, because I only recently found out about it. Wow. This show is unlike anything else on this list. It’s dark, unsettling, and one that you really have to pay attention to. This is the story of America, if America had lost WWII. Most of the eastern part of the country is ruled by Germany, and the west is controlled by Japan, leaving only a small sliver of the country that is lawless. There’s more to the show than that, and it is extremely complex, but ever so interesting. It’s almost uncomfortable watching it at times, because you may see parallels between some of what is going on today in our country and what happens in the show. History truly is written by those that win, and this is a great example of that. The show is only available on Amazon, but it’s a worthy watch, especially if you’re looking for something a little more dark. Even if you don’t think you’d like it (I didn’t) I urge you to at least watch the pilot.


9.      Queer Eye. I am in love with this show.  You guys, this isn’t just a makeover show. This is about learning to love yourself because you are worth it. It’s just fun, and light, and everything good in a world that sometimes feels far too oppressive. It’s only 16 episodes for both seasons (and even though the second season just came out last month, I am in desperate need of another), and you can binge it in two days. What’s it about? Well, as the only reality show on the list, it’s about five gay men (the Fab 5), Karamo, Antoni, Jonathan, Bobby, and Tan, that help men in and around Atlanta learn to update their looks and self care. It sounds vapid, and silly, and when I first clicked the watch button, I honestly didn’t think I’d fall in love, but I did. The mentors are just wonderful, helping to build spirit more than anything. Sure, there are fashion lessons and cooking lessons but at its heart, these men are teaching other men that they matter, and they are worth more than they give themselves. It’s a show about loving yourself, no matter your circumstances, what you look like, who you love, and all those other things. It’s a ray of light in the darkness, and if you ever just need a reason to smile, watch this. I promise it’ll work. It’s only on Netflix, so get some tissues, and binge!


10.   The McCarthys: I hope you guys didn’t think I’d have a list of my favorite shows and not include this gem! The Best Show Ever Cancelled After Just One Season, as the cast calls it, and I agree! The McCarthys is delightfully funny, with a great cast that is a mix of well known actors (Laurie Metcalf, Joey McIntyre, and Jack McGee) with some fresh faces (Tyler Ritter, Jimmy Dunn, and Kelen Coleman). The cast gels together so well, and really feels like a family. The snark and humor are the best thing about this show, and I can pretty much quote every episode. Basically, it’s a sitcom about a Boston family that loves sports. Totally doesn’t sound like my type of show at all, but I love it. I love that it just feels like every family. The humor, the snark, the loving support of parents that only want the best for their kids, even if those kids are grown up. It’s about sibling rivalry, and sibling love. It’s about overbearing parents and unconditional support. It’s all of these things wrapped up in a sarcastic little bow, and I was so, so disappointed when it was cancelled. It’s been 3 years, and honestly, I’m still mad at CBS for the way they treated this show. I highly recommend it! You can get the only season on Amazon. You won’t regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment